Tuesday, December 2, 2008
An Interview with Eve Summers and a Contest!
Please welcome the very talented Eve Summers to my blog today!
Alisha: Can you tell us a little bit about your childhood? Favorite memories?
Eve: I was born in Poland during the communist era. Although there were many problems with the political system, I can now appreciate the lack of consumerism, the absence of junk food and the fact that parents were home from work by 4.30pm. (Rat-race? What rat-race, LOL?) Some of my fondest memories include:
• Staying far away from the stove on which my Gran made plum jam for the winter. Oh, the smell! And the sticky spoon I got to lick at the end!
• The smell of home-cooked chicken-soup (chicken feet and all).
• Long summer days spent running around the neighbourhood with a pack of other kids. Children’s TV programs broadcasted for 10 minutes once a day, and all TV sets were black-and-white anyway (even in the 80s), so we had to fill our time with treasure hunts, climbing trees and playing “pretend”.
Alisha: Sigh...those are beautiful memories, Eve! What happened to kids playing outside? Tell us about the hero and heroine in your latest release.
Eve:“A slave of my own Desire” By Eve Summers (pen name)
Red Rose Publishing (2008), www.redrosepublishing.com
• David is tall, dark in the expensive-chocolate way and extremely handsome.
• Awesome in bed, he is the type of lover who will play with your mind and fulfill all your secret fantasies. He will force you to do EVERYTHING you've ever wanted to do.
•He's been hurt before and he doesn’t “do love”. Until he meets Clare, of course.
• Clare’s parents want to reign in her wild side. They hope to see her settle with a respectable man.
• Clare's bored with politically correct men who don’t bother to get to know the real her (and who would probably run away if they could see inside her head), but she desperately needs her family’s approval.
• When the story opens, Clare has sworn off men who can awaken her sexuality. One look at David, and she knows he’s Trouble with a capital T.
Alisha: Oh my! This sounds yummy! If you were granted three wishes by a genie, what would they be?
• Number 1 on the New Your Times Bestseller List.
• The Broadcast Orange Prize for fiction.
• Being able to support my family by writing the books I want to write (not the books that sell).
Alisha: If you could go anywhere to tomorrow, where would you go?
Eve: • A Greek island. Naxos or somewhere more remote.
Alisha: Everyone wants to go to Greece this week! Me too! If you could see anyone tomorrow (dead or alive), who would it be?
Eve: • My editor from any of the big publishing houses. (Because I don’t have one yet.)
Alisha: Good answer! If you could choose six people to spend one week on a desert island, who would it be and why?
• Josh Holloway (Sawyer from LOST) - to ogle. Also, it would be fun to say (at least 10 times): “Come on, haven’t you learnt anything on that polar-bear infested island of yours? How does one light a fire?”
• Harlan Coben - so that I could tie him up and make him teach me the art of pacing.
• My ex-boss out of hell, whom I already killed in “Murder @ Work” (Echelon Press, 2004). I’d suffer a week with him just so that I could leave him behind on that desert island once the rest of us get rescued.
• Joshilyn Jackson, because she writes beautiful books and is a fascinating person. Actually, when the rescue party arrives, could they drop off Joshilyn at my place, please?
• Both my children - otherwise I would miss them too much.
• Ok, that’s six. My husband can stay home alone and enjoy the break.
Alisha: Don't we all have an old boss like that? Yikes! What word or phrase tingles in all the right places for you?
Eve: “I bought your book.” Sorry, I’m addicted to sales lately…
Alisha: If you had one day to spoil yourself, what would you do?
Go to a spa for:
• a mud bath
• a head-to-toe massage
• a facial
• a long, long, long uninterrupted lunch of sushi and a good book
• another massage (with aromatherapy, which I studied when writing “Murder @ Work”)
• a snooze by the pool, fruit smoothie nearby
• a session in a Jacuzzi with Josh Holloway (and a good book as a backup should he prove not to be a good conversationalist).
Alisha: If you could change one incident in your life, what would it be and how would you change it?
Eve: You know, I wouldn’t change a thing. I believe in that butterfly, you know, the one that flaps its wings in Thailand so that we have rain in Alaska? Well, if I were to change something in my life, no matter how seemingly unrelated, who knows what else I’d be messing with?
Alisha: What’s the sexiest thing a man has ever done for you or said to you or both?
Said: “I want you to have my children.”
Done: It will sound silly and totally non-sexy, but hey, it works for me. It’s when my husband warms up the bath towel on the oil heater while I’m in the shower, and hands it to me as I step out. The feeling of the hot fluffy fabric on my rapidly cooling skin is sensational!
Alisha: That is so VERY SEXY AND ULTRA SWEET, Eve! And telling you he wants you to have his children is extra yummy! Thanks for being my guest of honor today!
Contest: Leave a contest for Eve today and you'll be entered into a drawing for an e-copy of “A Slave of My Own Desire”, (Red Rose Publishing 2008.
Excerpt from A Slave of My Own Desire ADULT CONTENT
I keep assuring her I’m fine. We’re still standing in the hallway, I in my flimsy dressing gown, my sister in her party finery, and it’s beginning to dawn on Gina that I’m not going to ask her to make herself at home the way I usually do.
“Look,” she says. “The reason I came…. I’m not sure how to say this. It’s just that there was somebody else asking about you when you left, somebody totally unsuitable. Your phone is off so I thought I’d come by to warn you. He’s not the sort -”
Suddenly I hear a sound from the bedroom. He’s switched on the DVD!
I’m going to kill him, I think.
Gina’s cheeks color slightly.
“I’m so sorry,” she says. “I didn’t realize you were… entertaining.”
I smirk as I think back to the last few hours.
“I’m not. Entertaining, that is,” I say truthfully.
Even in her unease, Gina is all prim and proper. My perfect parents’ perfect daughter, with perfect manners and perfect composure. I can bet anything that she didn’t used to sneak around behind their backs sucking off lodgers. And when was the last time anybody drank champagne out of her pussy?
Suddenly I feel almost sorry for her. Poor perfect Gina. She doesn’t know what she’s missing.
“Well,” she says, “I think I’ll be -”
Just at that point, he opens the bedroom door and joins us in the hallway. His chest is bare, but, thank goodness, he’s put on his jeans.
His very tight, very black jeans.
Gina gasps. I wonder whether she too has spotted the tell-tale swelling behind the zipper.
He flashes me a cheeky grin. “Is there a fire yet?” he asks. “You said I could come out if there was one.”